Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us, we are waiting for you.

Loui

The batmobile

I could write a very long thread with the progression of this car over the 7 years I've owned it but

1.) I'd probably bore you all to tears

2.) be here weeks

3.) my lap top with loads of pics is broken and been sat in my mates study for over 12 months with no sign of getting it back lol

Well I bought the car in April 2005 as a 6month old jcw converted coopers with jcw seats and the areo kit saying I'm not going to mess with it. Well that lasted about a day as other wheels got fitted along with kw springs etc.

The car has gone through many different pulleys, manifolds, exhausts and suspension setups over the years. The big milestones being late 2007 I imported an RMW cylinder head. This was fitted to the car in jan 2008 by 1320mini. The head didn't perform as well as Jan said it would and it struggled to make 260bhp on the old tat dyno. Paul put a newman cam in and untuned on 380cc injectors we saw 272bhp. The most uk had seen from a non tuner owned car.

2287292468_826ae3425d.jpg

The car pretty much stayed in the same state, with small odds and sods being done along with the addition of more track focus seats, suspension and cosmetic bits until April 2011 when Christine my wife won me Dave Morgans ABF/1320 converted turbo mini for silly money on eBay. I'd been planning on going turbo for a long time but this made it happen a lot sooner than it would have been in reality.

Just before this redline had featured the car in its supercharged form

188813_10150106156742683_10712122682_6559576_281709_n-1.jpg

As I felt my shell was the nicer car I decided to stick with my car and combine the two cars to make one crazy ass mini and a stock one to sell. 1320 were chosen for the job as they knew both cars well and a couple of weeks later I had one car which was engineless with a mass of parts in the boot and a stock one to sell with a pile of duplicate parts to fund the conversion.

A month or so past as I was in no rush for the car back till the other car sold and in Early August I collected the car back from 1320 with its turbo conversion. At 15psi running of the waste gate with no boost controller (people said it couldn't be done) it made 267whp and 207wtq on 1320's mustang dyno. Or on Lohens rotortronics 312bhp and 335nm torque with a boost cut at 7,000revs.

In October the car was once again photo'd by Matt woods this time for modern mini magazine. It's in the current issue at present. This I pretty much where we are now in printed highlights form

MayJuneCoverLg.jpg

Chris_Mini_Turbo_Matt_Woods_Car_Photography19.jpg

Chris_Mini_Turbo_Matt_Woods_Car_Photography4.jpg

DSCF6219.jpg

DSC_5052.jpg

Here's the current spec sheet:-

Engine:-*

ABF Turbo manifold

Garrett 2871r turbo

ABF inlet manifold

3" down pipe and exhaust

Miltek back boxes*

Bosch 550cc injectors

GRS front mount intercooler

Hks blow off valve

Mezzire water pump

RMW head

ARP Head Bolts

Newman cam

JE mega mini pistons*

1320 Bytronik map

Powerflex gearbox mount

Modified Oil Breather System

A/c removed

Transmission:-

Quaife ATB diff*

Competition clutch' super single clutch & flywheel*

Supension:-

KW Clubsport Coilovers

John cooper works motosport strut brace

Alta 22mm rear sway bar

Powerflex front wishbone bushes

H- Sport Rear Lower Control Arms

Brakes:-

Brembo 4 Pot Callipers Front

330mm Nitrac Frozen Grooved Discs

Nitrac Frozen Grooved Rear Discs

Braided Hoses

ATE Super Blue Fluid

Carbotec Xp8 Pads

Wheels:-

17†BBS Rc

Verdestein Sessenta 215/40/17

Or

17" Team Dynamics 1.2

Hoosier p6 / yoko prada

Exterior:-

Full BMW areodynamic bodykit

Tinted windows all round

LED side lights

JCW carbon fibre scoop

JCW carbon fibre mirror covers

JCW carbon fibre boot handle

Colour coded headlamp rings, door handles an fuel filler cap

Joey'd front and rear lights

Interior:-

Corbeau Pro Series Seats

Alta Gauge Pod

Greddy Boost Gauge

Inovative A/F Gauge

Scangauge2

Willans Harnesses

JCW Carbon Dash Board

Ice (it's still a road car at the moment):-

Becker Mexico Pro Headunit

Rainbow Components

Genesis 6x9 subs

Audison 4 channel amp*

Skinz door kit

Sound deadened

Phoenix Gold cabling

To be fitted:-

Turbo spec cat cam

Alta drop links

Kavs roll centre adjusters

Omp targa wheel

Brake ducts

+ I've probably forgot other bits

Lol!! Cheers David. I'm hoping the weather might pick up today 1) so I can do some gardening (rock and roll I know) 2) so I can fit a new bonnet catch as the one keeps popping open

Jamie it depends how far you want to go and what you want from the car. It's pretty easy to get to 250bhp from the m45 without spending a fortune. But on the other hand if you can weld and know what your doing you could turbo quite cheap, a build like mine would set you back probably 10k ish. I was very lucky, right time, right place

what kind of cash outlay would be needed to go turbo roughly? I could fit myself etc but i cant weld! I guess management is the killer part £££.

It looks so nice and simple in your engine bay! its sweet!

There are so many variables you could spend £250 on a used turbo off eBay or 2k on a new one with a stainless housing. The one I'm running is about 1k's worth. Engine management wise mine is bone stock but on Bytronik software tuned by Thomas. Other things to think about are intercooler, pipe routing, idlers to replace the charger etc, turbo manifold and down pipe. Racetech ( big in the Honda world) quoted 1k with a 2 year warranty for a manifold and down pipe. For any serious amount of boost you would really want to put pistons in at the bare minimum. It might be worth speaking to Jack as he's planning on a setup like mine on stock internals

hmmm. I need to stop looking into this! ha, It seems pointless tuning with a charger when all the big power cars have ditched them!

cheers for that.. alot to think about..

Will pester jack when i have thought more about it.

If your serious about TA I'd be looking at major handling steps first. With 250bhp and a well thought out suspension setup and track tuition you could rattle a few cages

If your serious about TA I'd be looking at major handling steps first. With 250bhp and a well thought out suspension setup and track tuition you could rattle a few cages

Cheers! At the moment I have Spax RSX coilovers and full set up. Need bushes and control arms then im about there i beleive?. Although im not feeling the Spax's if im honest!

A couple of pics from pod a few weeks ago. Was a pretty unsuccessful day as i broke and engine mount, the good news though was my 225/45/17 Hoosier P6 semi slicks fitted with very little faffing. Thanks Scott and Jack!!!

post-34-0-82426900-1337601052_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-65732700-1337601077_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-97849200-1337601135_thumb.jpg