Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us, we are waiting for you.

Sign in to follow this  
Astroboy

Turbo oil drain

The only position I've ever seen used for an oil return on turbo converted R53's is to the upper part of the rear oil pan. I've got an AN10 fitting welded onto mine as far up as possible but it still seems as though it's right on the level of the oil. Has anyone come up with an alternative? It looks as though I'm getting oil backing up the drain during sustained acceleration when the oil slashes back and submerged the drain completely

Hey Colin, Kawl and Nigel have it right that the best place for the oil return is in the engine block vs the oil pan but since you already have it on the oil pan like most of us have.

I would suggest a few things that may help with oil backing up when accelerating. Installing a taller oil baffle in the oil pan helps a lot. I prefer a four-sided enclosed gated baffle that has an upper lid over the shorter open ones. The four-sided covered ones hold more oil in the center around the oil pick and away from the outer walls in the oil pan compare to the lower wall open type. ( Jose AkA 1qwkmini did his baffle opened but with taller walls which work great) this will help keep the oil centered during acceleration and deceleration as well a hard turning.

Also l tried to release some crankcase pressure that seemed to help a friend’s turbo conversion R50 with blow by issues. In that car I put a T-fitting with a vent hose on the oil dipstick tube but the should not be your issue.

I dont mind just capping off the sump connection. I initially thought about using a scavenge pump but it's a bit of an overkill. Is the timing chain cover a possibility? How would you attach a fitting to the block? I'm assuming you have to be very careful with positioning

ok, so no baffles for you... Then just tap the lower girdle of the block above your sump connection or closer to the flywheel side and thread in a new fitting, You do have to be very careful with positioning make sure the new fitting is not too long that it will hit the rods or crank just look for whatever route is easier for the turbo return line. You can tap the timing chain cover AKA oil pump but why? the return routing is a harder that way in my view.

This is where I put the return line connection. If I did not use oil baffles system.

c0271443fc7a0dd00e5d8a776ecc8cfc.jpg

That's superb advice thanks. Just goes to show every day is a schoolday. I dont know why everyone doesnt do it this way as a preference. Whatever fitting I use I'll likely end up grinding it back so theres no intrusion. I think a bit of jb weld on the threads will probably be a good idea as well

car was parted out, is a rolling shell nowdays :(

why would I go backwards to internal wastegate? It is far superior in accurate boost control and helps out with the performance especially if the exhaust is somewhat restrictive, like it was on mine!

funny story, I was looking for manifolds to be adapted to the head with the appropriate adaptor plate, and stumbled on your project thread when you where moking up the D16!