Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us, we are waiting for you.

MajorTom

the other R53 from Finland

I'm running a 2006 MCS as my daily and super-slow-track-project car. Thus far, I've been to Alastaro and BotniaRing, soon we'll be at Ahvenisto...

MajorTom (aka tcbw)

I'll post up some pictures as soon as I can figure out the error messages.

Hello Tom!

... on a computer game :lol: Is the jump/hill really this steep in real life?

test9.png

It is steep, but not that steep, lol... you better come over the hill in a straight line with a steady right foot, as it's very easy to get out of balance there. I've seen quite a few cars hit the wall there. Here's me in my old Xantia chasing an E46 M3 up that hill, passenger's comment loosely translates to "oh shit". At least one of the front wheels was in the air. :)

Hopefully I'll have in-car videos from my Mini at Ahvenisto after next Sunday. Best track in Finland IMO.

Thanks for the welcome. There aren't too many tracks in Finland, but Ahvenisto is known as the best due to the elevation and topography. It might also be the scariest as it has very little run off. I'm only a little bit nervous about Sunday then, as the other tracks have had plenty of run off/kitty litter (all of which remained firmly unexplored) and the car is still my daily driver. It should however be good to run the car with its newly installed JCM 4-2-1 manifold and remap.

PS If you want to see what Ahvenisto looks like, dig up the old 'Captain Slow does Finland with Mika Häkkinen' from Top Gear TV. I don't remember which series, but the tarmac track sessions were filmed at Ahvenisto.

PPS Jussi, please ensure they put me in the slow group on Sunday.

I go with an open mind and it helps . If you worry you'll crash. From my many years of mountain biking the thing I always remember which is relevant to any fast sport is look where you want to go NOT where you don't. It always made me quick as I didn't think of the consequence of a bad choice.

Also play a good tune before lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to see you out on track!!!

Hope you didn't damage anything when you had your off

I managed to dent the plate under the battery box and the right hand exhaust silencer; nothing major. I like to think of these as battle scars.

I'm still feeling chastened though, and I need to consider the camber and alignment to make it more progressive and less inclined to rotate/oversteer in extremis. I didn't get much warning from any of the earlier laps, although I was trying to stay away from the standing water.

Ahvenisto is a tough track, so the irony is that I spun on the only flat section. Still, I'm here to learn, so I'll try to analyse this and learn some lessons.

I have had the car checked and the suspension realigned with less rear camber; at the same time, it was fitted with a nice set of K Sport brakes with six pistons and 304x28mm discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads and steel braided lines. I was happy with the old combination of stock callipers, Goodrich hoses, Nitrac discs and Carbotech XP8s but they felt a bit binary and they got seriously hot. The new brakes feel a bit soft under foot which is probably down to the less extreme pads, but I'm also thinking that the master cylinder could use an upgrade for the next track day.

My 'season' looks like another session at Ahvenisto in August and one at Alastaro in September. I didn't make it to Motopark in early July as it was simply too far for a day trip/time available. But I did learn that there's a new track just opened; hopefully that'll be on the calendar next year.

We survived the second visit to Ahvenisto unscathed - better weather helps! And now we have the last track day of the season on Saturday with MCFF at Alastaro - so instead of BMWs on the track, it'll be some classic and race Minis.

It's been a while, as the season is so short... Alastaro in September was fun, and it was good to see some old friends, but I like the tracks with more elevation changes...

Anyway. this year should be good. JKo has pledged to join me at the New MINI Club Sweden two day meeting at Knutstorp on 10 and 11 July, and Bimmer Tuning Club Finland has announced a few days already. Nothing though from Mini Club Flying Finns. So far, the BTCF year looks like this:

Ahvenisto 24.05.2015

Alastaro 06.06.2015

Motopark 01.08.2015

Botniaring 12.09.2015

Nice to see you about. Looking forward to the 2015 updates

Thanks, I was getting all excited but as you can see, the season starts pretty late. There a couple of additional dates to add. But we'll be on winter tyres until end of April, so in the meantime, it's just grinding and slipping around. Hopefully, though someone will arrange an ice track somewhere...

Sadly the Swedish two day meet at Knutstorp has been cancelled, but the Swedes are putting on a day at the DriveLab Stockholm Test Track 1 (near Ã…rlanda / Stockholm Airport) on 1st August, so it's a toss up between Motopark and Ã…rlanda.

I may feel the need to earn my "frequent sailor points" with another trip across the water on the Viking Line, even if it does mean leaving my wife in the trendy boutiques of Stockholm for a day while we go burn some fuel…

I haven't been driving or indeed writing about the R53 much, but it's been a busy time, I've been travelling on business a fair bit. The car has been at the garage and it still has it's winters on, but, on the bright side, it does now - today! - have a Newman cam BMWI/246/396 PH1/2 under the bonnet, and not just stuck in a cardboard box marked "MINI parts". I don't know when I get to pick it up, maybe tomorrow?

I sort of dropped out of TrackMini: must have been the move to Dubai and the other car... but now that I'm back and we have a couple more R53-buddies, we're planning some more track days for 2019. So far, the likely candidates seem to be Ahvenisto and Alastaro (basically the closest ones).